Entrepreneur, Technology Evangelist, Business Strategist. CEO & Cofounder of Visartech Inc., Software Product Development Agency.
Imagine you’re Tony Stark from the Iron Man movies, and you design virtual products and systems that employ 3-D visualization. You also have the opportunity to test and see the final solution before it moves to the production stage. Sounds fantastic, isn’t it? But this is a new reality 3-D technology offers to us.
We tend to think of 3-D development as providing only interactivity and entertainment. Yet three-dimensional solutions have become a terrific instrument that boosts business growth. As reported by Shopify, the usage of 3-D content enhances interaction with customers and brings a 94% conversion lift.
Why is 3-D worth considering for business?
3-D solutions serve lots of business purposes within different functional units of a company. From the marketing department to the product delivery team. That contributes to embedded innovation in interaction with customers and company teams.
The reasons for using 3-D technology in business might include the following.
• Immersive corporate activities: A 3-D virtual world is a perfect tool for interaction between teammates—namely, organizing online collaboration events, conducting simulation training and creating onboarding processes.
• Prototype testing: By making a three-dimensional model of the future product, it’s possible to test all the features under various conditions and figure out further advancements.
• Extraordinary marketing campaigns: Customers fancy experiences more than just products themselves. So a virtual product or service tryout can bring positive feelings and accelerate purchase decisions.
• Interactive content: 3-D visualization on the web helps to ensure an in-depth perception of information. Thus brands can better communicate their ideas, present items or, again, provide experiences.
Once a brand applies any of the 3-D solutions available, it organically gains a more competitive edge on the market because customers are more willing to interact with brands that keep abreast of the rising technology.
What 3-D technology solutions are there to embrace?
With a growth rate of 104%, emerging tech solutions offer a bunch of opportunities for businesses yearly. The same goes for 3-D development. Yet depending on a specific company’s needs and industry requirements, it’s essential to consider the top cases of implementing 3-D technology.
• Digital twins: This 3-D solution facilitates the companies’ workflow and optimizes product testing processes. Simulation in virtual environments allows workers to practice needed skills. Meanwhile, the digital representation of particular items gives the option to see how they will look and work in different circumstances.
A case in point, BMW is working on digital twins for its 31 factories. The virtual solutions are supposed to create better planning processes at 30%. Thus any product will be ideally tested before it’s built, which will save time and costs.
• Metaverse: At first, it seems to be just a virtual world. Indeed, a metaverse solution is a new gateway to digital experiences, providing a great variety of functionalities—an interactive platform, an online learning app and an advertising channel.
Apart from that, a virtual world can operate as an advanced customer service tool. For example, Helpshift has created an immersive client support system in the metaverse. The primary features consist of user feedback, digital identity verification and a help center.
• Interactive 3-D web: Interactive full-view elements on the website keep users engaged when they explore brands’ services or products. Customers examine everything from different angles and can find out if the purchase is worth making.
As proof, the De Bijenkorf department store has turned its website into a magical place for people to order their favorite brand items. Users walk through a dense forest to find treasures (products), and thematic sounds accompany the atmosphere.
Adopting 3-D technology solutions all at once might require lots of time and effort. A good rule of thumb is to start with something small, analyze outcomes and then scale it. For example, create a deeply engaging website with the company’s services, gather feedback from users and transform it into the metaverse.
What challenges might you face when implementing 3-D?
3-D graphics is not only about making a nice picture; it’s also about solid infrastructure, flawless performance and robust security. Therefore, before working on any 3-D project, take into account the key elements that mainly form a good structure of a 3-D solution.
• Stable infrastructure: Smooth interaction with content plays an important role in user experience. To make sure a 3-D solution process data quickly and provide a nice picture to a user, leverage cloud and edge computing. Cloud offers enormous storage capabilities and edge computing eliminates minimal processing delays.
• Engaging user experience: To display interactive content well, use different technologies. PixiJS is better when making 2-D animated elements. PlayCanvas is a great tool for small and medium projects involving cross-platform mobile app development. Unity creates a fantastic picture and is more suitable for large-scale projects.
• High-level security: Any software solution deals with user data a lot. Therefore, it’s necessary to incorporate solid security at different levels: network, end-point and cloud—thus preventing unauthorized access, use or destruction.
Though challenging, the implementation of 3-D is the way brands can take advantage of it to enhance their existing solutions.
The Key Takeaway And Business Value
The feature making 3-D technology worth implementing is that it becomes the icing on the cake. Three-dimensional visualization complements the existing business solutions and levels up the brand’s services or products.
Thereby, automotive companies might offer 3-D-car views on the web before the actual purchase; factories might train their employees using digital twin simulation to avoid potential production failures; e-learning businesses might create a completely virtual environment in the metaverse for students to observe objects with a 360-degree view.